Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Marriage?!!!??!!

I was having my dinner then.. i remembered oh so clearly.. then i got an sms.. a close fren of mine told me that she was getting married and asked if i was able to attend it.. my first reaction was... 'WHAT THE..' then it started to dawn in my head.. we are no kids anymore.. THAT was my first time that i really start to think that marriage has anything to do with me.. and that was like 4 years ago!! Now after 4 years, almost all my friends elder sisters (2-4 yrs older) are married, more and more of my lady friends are also married.. some juniors i noe are getting married too... SO the question is.. when and who is the 1st male of my batch (be it GRSS or UNITEN) to get married..

Recently, i was having dinner with 3 of my other uni friends.. some how we brought the topic of marriage into our conversaation.. one of friends was saying:" I'm not saving a single cent now. WHY save when in the end of the day we are goin to waste all on marriage." then he continued with "Now a days the market price to pay to the lady's parents is about RM 10k or more." Market price?!!? yup tat was exactly what my reaction was.. well u see.. bac in kuching.. i dun remember knowing any market price when it comes to marriage.. for our Hakka clan, the payment to the ladies' parents are low.. hehehe... not that we are stingy but there is an understanding amongst Hakka that YOU (the lady side) are sending your daughter to us and we need to feed and take care of her from now onwards, so why do we need to pay u sooooo much. Which i clearly am relieved about... hahahaha

none the less before this dinner conversation, mum and i had a short but calculative talk on marriage.. i was saying i'm not getting married if i dun reach my goals financially (it will be reached if the lady side paid me... whahahahahah) ANYWAYS, i was telling her how expensive this and tat (dinner, the exaggerating photo albums, wedding DRESSES etc) was. Mum debated saying it could all be a cheap one except the dinner.. the entrance fee (angpow when they come for ur dinner function as a token of thanks) should cover half or even more for the dinner. as for dresses.. use malaysian designed and not ITALIAN/JAPANESE/FRENCE/TAIPEI.. photo albums can take jus one album.. take so many for wat.. mum said her album also dunno put where.. so there u have it ppl.. minimum RM 25k for all those hanky pankies... but tat doesnt include the small detail fees.. driver, photographers, CAKES, ya da ya da ya da...

back to my recent dinner, my friend mentioned all the above which was my talk with mum, he showed me the other side of getting married.. he told me photo albums where got can take 1.. when u want one the photographers will take alot more and tempt u and ur wud be wife with words like 'look how beautiful u both are' 'wah! this one 'cheng' ur kids will be proud to see u like this' 'one life once, takkan u dun wan such a pretty picture with ur WIFE..' my fren's sis spent 7k on 3 photo albums, all the photographer had to do is play with ur head.

next are the DRESSES.. u see how i say DRESSES... yes.. wedding dress one, dinner wedding dress another then mid dinner wedding dress another! and if those are all designer dresses, they can all shot up to near 10k or more... next lets go survey the restaurants.. i told my mum one table will cost 1k, well.. i got a hell of a whooping, she said ' ur aunty soooo rich also one table RM900, u wan so much for wat.. some more, 50 table!!!'... hahaha... she said " we got 30 good enuf lo.. 10 for the ladies.. if not 15.." In contrast my friend was telling me, "u think relatives and friends will give alot back during the dinner? if they a group of ppl share share giv.. u sure get very lil.. then ur dinner will cost a bump" sigh...

well last 2 years my senior engineer just got married.. altho he is an indian.. but from what i noe his marriage cost him a WHOOPING 100k (lesser mayb but near that number)... FUUUuuuuUUUuuuUUuuu....

anyhow, this blogs does not hint that i am getting married soon or anything..just tht recently more and more of my frens have stepped on to the heavenly doors of happiness and tied up the knots with ppl they love... or mistakenly handled.. ehhehehe.. well, i hope a few years down the road of my career i hope can prepare me for such a financial, life changing decision.

take care now.. cheerS!~

1 comment:

-sHeiLa- said...

i physically agree with you that getting marry really needs lots of cash if not choose a wedding that goes travelling that really saves a lot. but i've already have something in my mind of have kind of wedding im going to have. haha... so hopefully its going to be what it is.